Creating Samples and Idea Deveolpment

Samples and idea development

Our next project that followed on from this was to create a range of samples, using only paper and inspired by any number of words taken from a selection we were given. We were paired up for this task and were each given a role of Design director or Assistant. I was paired with Byron and given the role of Design Director which involved me having creative control as well as the responsibility to talk through our ideas and concept to the group.

I knew that working with Byron would be a challenge, but one I was keen to take on, so we discussed the idea of having as much variety in our samples as possible whilst focusing primarily on the words ‘grid’, ‘boundaries’,

These are the majority of the samples I created. I attempted a box pleat with definite, sturdy looking folds which was a contrast to my fan like sample that showed curved, waves. They were both inspired by the word ‘contour’, demonstrating how much variety you can get from the same starting point.

These samples are mainly Byron’s, my favourite of which was his experimentation with ‘boundaries’ which involved him putting the paper in his mouth to scrunch it. Although his method seemed doubtful at the time (and still needs modifying) he managed to create an amazing texture and depth. It reminds me of scrunched taffeta, pictured bellow.

Here you can see I used a map to create a woven grid like sample. I love how the image which was once made using precision and purpose is taken apart and the reconstructed in completely nonsensical and random fashion. (As well as the fact that it would make a great coaster.)

The samples that where chosen by Sarah (our client in this scenario) where the scrunched up paper by Byron (on the provision he used his hands and not his mouth) and the curly paper samples of mine shown bellow.

Garment Construction

The final stage of the project was to recreate our samples on a larger scale and then use them to create a dress by pinning them to a manikin. Again I was absent and so I missed the opportunity to finish this with Byron but I continued it in my own time at home. I began by using large petal shaped pieces of scrunched paper to construct a skirt. As you can see I layered them up to create body and volume, using extra bits of paper in between to extenuate it further.

For the bodice I took another piece of scrunched paper and marked out the bust point and added two darts using pins, giving it the shape needed to fit to the mannequin. When I attached it the top corners folded down naturally which I felt worked really well and so I decided to leave it like that. I had originally decided to use the swirls as a way to add detail to the bodice but was satisfied with the more simplistic yet stylish (despite being made from paper) look the dress had taken on, so I opted to leave the bodice plain.

I had only used one technique instead of two so I decided to incorporate the swirls subtly by using a pencil to curl up the edges of the ‘petals.’ The idea derived from an ornamental bowl that I spotted on my worktop and embraced the petal/flower element of the dress.

Originally I had purposefully curled the edges inwards but prefer this more dainty version.

Both the scrunched paper and curled edges were aspects of the garment that I wouldn’t have used if it wasn’t for my collaboration with Byron and the direction given by Sarah and yet are key components in it’s creation. This is a great example of how we need to use outside influences to develop our work and to enhance our ideas.

paper dress finished

Advertisements